During menopause, there is a decline in estrogen and progesterone production. These hormone changes cause a discomfort in about two-thirds of women. The symptoms can range from hot flushes, night sweats, and insomnia all the way to metabolic changes with an associated weight gain. Some women experience only one light symptom other women complain about several severe symptoms - Menopause is experienced in different ways.
This year`s campaign emphases the Testosterone treatment for women at midlife. A low testosterone level might lead to a loss of interest in sex1. Therefore, a global Consensus Position Statement on the use of Testosterone Therapy for Women was developed2.
Beside of a hormonal therapy, there are several herbal medicines with black cohosh, red clover or soy treating menopausal complains.
Further, there are some easy tips and tricks to act cool in these hot times:
- A vitamin D-rich and calcium-containing diet increases the general well-being and reduces the occurrence of osteoporosis.
- When hot flushes occur, hot and spicy food should be avoided.
- Exercise stimulates the regeneration of bone mass and has a positive effect on the bones. On the other hand, sport increases the energy requirement, which counteracts weight gain.
- Relaxation exercises like yoga and breathing therapy help to build up energy.
- Stressful situations should be avoided. This minimizes, among other things, the risk of insomnia.
- Walks in the fresh air and in a pleasant environment complete a healthy way of life in a simple way. It will both raise the mood and strengthen the body's defenses.
2: https://www.imsociety.org/world_menopause_day.php?year=2019 (15.10.19; 15:30pm)